Sometimes you just have to have a burger — we get it! There are some great burger choices out there (and on HealthyDiningFinder) that can help you cure your craving and get some good-for-you nutrition while you’re at it. For those days when you want a burger, not necessarily a healthy burger, and want to make it just a little bit better, these simple requests can help.
- Request a whole wheat bun – a lettuce wrap if you’re really adventurous.
- Opt for a slightly smaller patty – think 1/3 pound vs. 1/2 pound.
- Add veggies or upgrade your veggies – instead of iceberg, ask for spinach.
- Skip the cheese or ask for half the usual cheese.
- Go for a leaner choice – chicken instead of beef or sirloin instead of a standard beef patty.
- Ask for the sauce on the side – using just a little less sauce can save on calories, fat and sodium.
- Pair it well – skip the fries and pair your decadent burger with a side green or fruit salad.
The burgers we usually see in ads and on social media are those of mammoth proportions glistening with grease and topped with a token leaf of lettuce or slice of tomato. Make yours a better burger choice without feeling deprived with these tips or dietitian-recommended menu choices like these.