You know the feeling. You’re at work, lunch is over, dinner is still a few hours away and you’re hungry. If you’re ready for a snack but don’t want to overindulge, fuel up with a nutritious snack.
Healthy Dining dietitian Blaire Newhard, MLA, RD, suggests keeping a stockpile of healthy snacks in your desk, purse and/or car to keep from turning to unhealthy vending machine or convenient store options.
Newhard’s picks for snack foods worth keeping around:
- Light, low-sodium soups or oatmeal
- Whole grain crackers or pretzels and nut butter
- Hummus for dipping vegetables or whole grain bread
- Low-fat cottage cheese and fruit
- Low/no salt, low/no oil popcorn
- Nuts, dried fruit, and trail mix
- Fresh cut vegetables with a light dressing for dipping
- Fresh fruit
Try putting your own snack packs and pre-prepped foods together over the weekend to keep at the ready in the fridge for the week, and don’t forget to set aside space in your desk, bag and car for non-perishable emergency snacks to grab when hunger strikes.
What’s your top pick for a nutritious snack?