Eating healthy at restaurants is becoming more important than ever these days. With the average person eating out around 4-5 times per week, making the best choices eating out at restaurants is key to a healthy diet and lifestyle. Healthy Dining’s restaurant nutrition experts make it easy for you to enjoy dining out without the worry, thanks to featured menu choices, nutrition information and these 10 tips for eating healthy at restaurants:
- Ask your server how dishes are prepared – method and ingredients can make all the difference.
- Find out what comes with your meal – nutrition information posted may not include sides.
- Choose dishes seasoned with herbs and spices instead of sauces, gravies and dressings.
- Request sauces, dressings and gravies on the side and use as needed (a little can go a long way).
- Keep portion sizes in mind – even “healthy” meals can come in extra-large servings.
- Create your own healthier picks – pair smaller appetizers, side dishes, soups and/or salads.
- Swap in an extra serving of vegetables for higher calorie sides.
- Aim to fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables – this is a key MyPlate recommendation.
- Tame hunger to help prevent over-eating with a pre-dinner salad or broth-based soup.
- Opt for fresh fruit or sorbet for dessert – less fat and fewer calories, same sweet finish.
When enjoying a meal out, it’s not about unhealthy or healthy restaurants. Make the best choices for your diet and lifestyle when you have all the tools and information.