Pho is big news these days, thanks to its combination of soothing comfort and exotic flavors. We at Healthy Dining love pho for those reasons and more!
In case you haven’t heard, pho is BIG right now, thanks to its combination of soothing comfort and exotic flavors. While it’s a tasty choice throughout the year, during the colder winter months, it can be a natural pick for warming up without ditching your healthy eating resolutions.
This traditional Vietnamese soup is usually loaded with veggies, from the more traditional bean sprouts and bok choy to the creative additions of seasonal veggies like asparagus. These vegetables all add a wealth of vitamins, minerals and fiber along with rich flavor. In addition, pho makes the most of flavorful herbs and spices like Thai basil, ginger and chilies, which are a great way to add antioxidants to your diet while keeping your taste buds tuned in and happy. These, plus lean proteins like chicken and seafood can make pho a very tasty and healthy option when the weather cools or you just need a bowl of comfort.
Thanks to its growing popularity, pho is easier than ever to find at restaurants these days.
When you’d rather skip the restaurant and make your own at home, try one of these healthy pho recipes from around the web:
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Pho from EatingWell
- Homemade Pho from Healthy Grocery Girl
- Shrimp Pho – Vietnamese Noodle Soup from The Lemon Bowl
- Vegetarian Pho With Asparagus and Noodles from Martha Rose Shulman at the New York Times
- 30-minute vegetarian pho from Oh My Veggies
- Healthy Chicken Pho with Zucchini Noodles from The Healthy Maven
- Vegetarian Pho from The Kitchn
- Instant Seafood Pho from The Healthy Foodie
- Easy Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup from The Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Easy 30 Minute Pho from Beard and Bonnet