Soup, the hot and steamy comfort food classic is often top of mind during the winter months for filling up while you warm up. That’s not all, though. Soup is also known for:
- Containing a variety of nutrient-rich ingredients veggies and lean proteins – leafy greens, root vegetables, seafood, chicken. You name it – there’s probably a soup that makes the most of that healthy ingredient.
- Helping to support a weight loss or weight management diet – One of the top tips when it comes to eating out and losing weight is to start your meal with a broth-based soup to help fill you up and deliver a wealth of nutrition all with fewer calories.
Treat yourself well this winter (and all year long) with Healthy Dining soups like these at restaurants coast to coast:
- Half Sandwich and Soup Combo at Studio Diner
- Pick 2: Cranberry Apple Pecan Chicken Salad & Garden Vegetable Soup at Schlotzsky’s
- Manhattan Clam Chowder (Cup) at Red Lobster
When you’d rather not brave the cold, Lara at ShopWell has the tips and personally tested soup recipes you need for a healthier meal at home. Here are some of her recommendations:
- This Sweet Potato and Sausage recipe from Smitten Kitchen does a fantastic job of pairing the sweetness of the beloved root vegetable with the spice of the sausage.
- I love the flavor profile and ease of preparation for this Curried Cauliflower Soup recipe from What a Girl Eats blog.
- I have made this 10 Spice Vegetable soup recipe from Oh She Glows blog with excellent results.
- This Lemon Garlic Orzo Soup with Tofu recipe from Nutrition to Kitchen blog is fantastically simple and simply delicious. I find that broth-based soups leave me quite satisfied without feeling too heavy.
- This Spicy Vegetarian Chili recipe over on the Joy the Baker blog is perfect for a hearty weeknight meal.
What’s your favorite soup to make that brings your warmth and cheer in the winter?