If you need a little inspiration, here are 8 ideas for using zucchini as the star of your next meal.
By Rachael Derr, RD
According to ABC’s the Chew, zucchini is the number one searched summer food on Food Network.com. It’s not a surprise to the dietitians at Healthy Dining! Zucchini is a popular summertime vegetable, as this squash is in season during the summer months. You’ve probably seen it on sale at your local grocery store. Or, if you have a green thumb, you may have an overabundance of zucchini, and you may be thinking – what do I do with all of it?? You’re in luck! These green squash are so versatile! Even the flowers that grow are the plants are edible. Perfect for stuffing with a little goat cheese, garlic and herbs – yum!
If you need a little inspiration, here are 8 ideas for using zucchini as the star of your next meal:
- Grilled Zucchini – Drizzle zucchini with a little olive oil and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning. Try slicing them length-wise to avoid losing them to the flames!
- Zucchini Boats – Using a spoon, scoop the seeds from the center of each zucchini half, making 4 long canoe-like boats. Stuff with cooked ground turkey or TVP (textured vegetable protein), diced tomatoes, bread crumbs and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is browned.
- Pasta – Using a vegetable peeler, create ribbon-like strips of zucchini – toss with your favorite pasta sauce.
- Oven baked fries – Slice zucchini into strips. Coat with egg wash and dip into breadcrumbs. mixed with parmesan cheese. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes on a baking sheet.
- Zucchini Bread – Think banana bread, but with zucchini!
- Quiche or frittatas – Sauté your zucchini and whisk it into your favorite quiche or frittata recipe.
- Vegetable lasagna – Use slices of zucchini in place of lasagna noodles.
- Zucchini Soup – Try this recipe from Rachael Ray!
How do you make the most of summer zucchini? What’s your favorite zucchini recipe to use during the summer months?