Courtesy of the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation and Together Counts
What says October to you? Changing leaves? Friday night football? Welcoming (or groaning about) the Christmas decorations that have suddenly popped up in all the stores?
By now, families with kids Pre-K through 5 are well into their busy fall routines— juggling weeknight meals with homework and sports schedules—then before you know it, BAM! The holidays arrive and we go off the rails in all directions.
That’s why the first of October is the perfect time to do an informal audit of how your family is working together to be healthy and active. Try these 5 conversation starters at upcoming family dinners. You’ll be surprised about how just a little discussion can go a long way in reaffirming healthy habits everyone can feel good about.
- Who ate breakfast this morning? What did you eat and how long was it before you started thinking about snack time?
- How many minutes per day should kids be active? (answer: 60)
- Imagine a dinner made from all the colors of the rainbow. What would it be?
- What is a portion? Why is it important to pay attention to portions?
- What are three active things we can do together this weekend? Get ideas here.
Each year we’re proud to promote the Healthy Playground Makeover Sweepstakes, a big incentive for schools to make healthy changes. Two lucky schools will win a grand prize package consisting of a $30,000 grant to go towards wellness programs plus a new playground.
Be sure to visit TogetherCounts.com and enter on behalf of a local pre-school or elementary school in your area. Anyone can enter, and it’s one simple way you can be part of the back to school buzz.
Download free pre-k through grade 5 energy balance resources for families and schools at http://TogetherCounts.com/
For Spanish, visit http://es.togethercounts.com/