Grab your friends and your best sombrero, and get ready to join the Cinco de Mayo fiesta armed with these tips, tricks and strategies from Healthy Dining’s dietitians featuring our favorite Cinco de Mayo Food Friendzy ingredients.
It’s that time of year… time for Cinco de Mayo and all the tacos, tortillas, tostadas, tomatillo salsa (aka salsa verde) and tequila it brings. Yes, Cinco de Mayo is actually a celebration to remember the long ago Battle of Puebla, but you’d never guess that with the big focus on all things food. Hey, we’re not complaining. In fact, you may want to join us for our #HDFiesta on Cinco de Mayo.
If you’re watching what you eat, all that food and drink may be a little too tempting (even a tad scary), especially if you’re still new to a healthy lifestyle. Have no fear. Grab your friends and your best sombrero, and get ready to join the Cinco de Mayo fiesta armed with these tips, tricks and strategies from Healthy Dining’s dietitians featuring our favorite Cinco de Mayo Food Friendzy ingredients:
- Opt for whole – Pinto and black beans much prefer staying whole to getting fried, mashed and refried. Your diet does, too, thanks to all the fiber and minerals without the added fat. Trust us.
- Skip anything fried – This strategy can save you A LOT of calories and fat. Opt for the soft tacos over crispy, regular burritos vs chimichangas, etc.
- Veggies are your best friend – Load up the cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeno carrots, chiles and salsa fresca. They are happy to add fresh flavor, vitamins and minerals to your dishes. Chiles’ health benefits are also a big plus if you can stand the heat.
- Turn down the drinks – That’s right, say no thanks to the margaritas and beer to save HUNDREDS of calories during your Cinco de Mayo. It’s not just the loads of calories in the drinks themselves; it’s also the loads of extra calories you’re likely to eat after that drink kicks into effect.
- Make it easy – Stick to Mexican restaurants that provide nutrition information. Having all the facts will help you plan your day or evening and make the BEST choices for you.
Pick one or two of these tips or use them all when you head out for Cinco de Mayo this year It’s up to you how good you want to feel!