Full of vibrant color and flavor, each bite of this delicacy is packed with heart-healthy canned tuna, fiber-rich canned black beans, and tasty veggies that will stimulate your taste buds. Mix and match different varieties of beans and peppers or enjoy as a simple salad instead of a wrap to personalize this recipe to your tastes.
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) tuna in olive oil, drained
- ¾ cup fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or canned diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp minced Serrano peppers
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1/8 tsp each, salt and pepper
- 6 large butter lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tuna, tomatoes, onion, peppers, oil and lime juice. Toss gently, being careful to keep tuna in bite-size pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Add parsley and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Spoon tuna salad into lettuce leaves. Fold up leaves and eat taco style.
Nutrition Information (per serving)*:
250 calories, 16 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium,
12 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 16 g protein, .75 cup vegetables.
* Recipe and nutrition information may vary by products (and/or brands) used.
Recipe courtesy of Fruits and Veggies More Matters
Don’t miss out on fruits and veggies in delicious dietitian-recommended menu choices like this at participating Healthy Dining restaurants.